As the 2014-15 campaign enters it’s final weeks, there is lots of talk about who may win the Gills’ Goal of the Season award.
For every fan there is a goal that will stick in their mind throughout the season.
An important strike, a match winning hit or a screamer that will live long in the memory.
Here at RainhamEndViews we decided to investigate further, and have come up with twelve contenders who we feel could or should be in the running.
1) 12-08-14: Aaron Morris versus Yeovil (LC) – Receiving a pass on the edge of the box, Morris killed it in an instant with the outside of his right foot before arrowing home across the keeper from 18 yards.
2) 16-08-14: Joe Martin versus Yeovil (L1) – A sumptuous set piece from nearly 25 yards out, Martin sent it up and over the wall into the top corner.
3) 18-08-14: Kourtney Hause versus Swindon (L1) – Played in by Bradley Dack on the left hand edge of the box, Wolves loanee Hause didn’t break stride as he let fly from sixteen yards into the roof of the net.
4) 30-08-14: Bradley Dack versus Crewe (L1) – After the ball was cleared to him on the edge of the box, Dack controlled instantly with his right foot before a drop of the shoulder created enough space to bend home into the top corner with his left.
5) 27-09-14: Luke Norris versus Sheffield United (L1) – His first touch on his chest was decent, his second took two defenders out of the equation, and his third was an absolute bomb as he let fly with an unstoppable left foot volley that cannoned home off the bar.
6) 15-11-14: Cody McDonald versus Leyton Orient (L1) – From a Brennan Dickenson corner, Cody connected perfectly with a first time volley to secure a 97th minute winner, the Gills’ first league victory in two months.
7) 29-11-15: John Egan versus Port Vale (L1) – 25 yards out, the big centre half sold his marker a dummy and then drilled home unerringly into the bottom corner with his left foot.
8) 13-12-14: Luke Norris versus Doncaster (L1) – Taking a pass from Jake Hessenthaler, Norris let the ball run across his body, took a touch to set himself and then smashed home from nearly 30 yards.
9) 06-01-15: Cody McDonald versus Bristol City (JPT) – Latching onto a long clearance from Stuart Nelson, McDonald took a touch to gain control before lashing a half volley into the roof of the net on the run.
10) 17-01-15: Jermaine McGlashan versus Coventry (L1) – Slid in by John Marquis, flying winger McGlashan still had plenty to do, but his first time finish high across the keeper nestled in the top corner and earned the ‘Gang of Four’ their first win.
11) 24-01-15: Bradley Dack versus Oldham (L1) – With the game poised at 2-2, Dack connected sweetly when a clearance fell to him, sending a first time volley back into the top corner from 20 yards out.
12) 03-03-15: Cody McDonald versus Swindon (L1) – With nothing seemingly on as the ball bounced around, Cody had the confidence to send an impudent back heel into the corner to give his side the lead.
So there they are, our comprehensive run down of who we think is in the running for Goal of the Season.
Some you may agree with, and some you won’t.
In fact we would be disappointed if you all agreed as that would be boring.
UP THE GILLS!